|The Pen Tool allows you to draw straight and curved lines in Illustrator.|
|Part of||Illustrator CS5|
To access the full length adobe page visit:
- Illustrator / Drawing with the Pen, Pencil, or Flare tool
- Select the pen tool
- Click where you want your line to begin
- Click where you want your line to end (hold down shift to constrain the degree to multiples of 45)
- Continue clicking on points you wish your curve to bend
- Finish the curve by clicking on the starting point or to leave it open ctrl-click (windows) or command-click (mac) or enter/ return.
- Select the pen tool.
- Click where you want the curve to begin, and hold down the mouse button. The first anchor point appears, and the Pen tool pointer changes to an arrowhead.
- Drag to set the slope of the curve segment you’re creating, and then release the mouse button (hold down the Shift key to constrain the tool to multiples of 45°).
- Continue dragging the Pen tool from different locations to create a series of smooth curves. Note that you are placing anchor points at the beginning and end of each curve, not at the tip of the curve.
Complete the path by doing one of the following:
- Click the first (hollow) anchor point. A small circle appears next to the Pen tool pointer when it is positioned correctly. Click or drag to close the path.
- To leave the path open, Ctrl-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac OS) anywhere away from all objects