124b su14 Project
|Students will explore the capacities of parametric design space exploration as a design tool through investigations into a case study building. Working in groups of 3-4, students will each produce a series of design modifications tied to an ongoing grasshopper model, to be used by other members of the group.|
|Uses Tool(s)||Tool:Rhino v4.x , Tool:Grasshopper|
Schedule + Weekly Deliverables
All deliverables will be due by Monday night at midnight.
- Week 1 - due June 30
- Model any of the following Kayaks excluding the first one.
Each group will collect information/research on their chosen building:
- Scan/trace plans and sections, and import them at scale into Rhino
- Week 2 - due July 7
Each group will work together using the scanned plans and sections of their chosen case study to build a 3D model in Rhino
- A 3d model of the building.
- Week 3 - due July 14
After deciding on a design parti, group members will attempt to modify some portion of the building massing.
- Using the model created in week 2, create a grasshopper script that approximates or changes part of the building massing.
- Week 4 - due July 21
- Using lists, create an attractor point script that allows for the manipulation of some portion of the building facade system.
- Week 5 - due July 28
- Combining the massing script from week 3 with the facade script from week 4, link the two so that the change in massing affects the change in facade.
- Week 6 - due August 4
- Week 7 - Final Presentation - due August 13
Case Study Buildings
- Anything by Foster + Partners
Any ICD/ITKE Pavilion
- note: if your group decides on a pavilion, you will be expected to produce a more sophisticated grasshopper definition.
Almost anything by SOM
- note: if your group decides on an SOM building, please see me after the end of the first class so that I can approve it.
- If you are having a difficult time selecting a case study, I can help assign one
Ultimately, you will want your choice to be well enough documented that you can find relevant modeling information.