|Course Number||Arch 100a|
|Course Name||Fundamentals of Architectural Design|
Here we will list all the Sessions tied to this course.
Week 01 - Project 1 intro , Week 02 -Designing Space and Form , Week 03 - Model Translations , Week 04 - Site Representation and Analysis , Week 05 - Surface to Circulation , Week 06 - Building Plan, Section and Elevation , [[Course:100a f13 manthripragada session 296651|]] , Week 07 - Axonometric Projections & Drawing Techniques , Week 09 - Representing Material , Week 10 - The Diagram , Week 11 - Photoshop Post-Processing , Week 12 - Board Layouts , Week 13 - Composite Rendering
- Week 02 -Designing Space and Form
- 1) Modeling space and form as a complementary and subtractive process via three dimensional spatial construction. 2) Cutting through our model to produce 2D linework for orthogonal drawings. 3) Translating 2D linework from Rhino into Illustrator for final editing.
- Week 03 - Model Translations
- This class will continue to build upon the tools and methods learned in Week 02. Students will create three dimensional analytic drawings of their design that describe the spatial composition of the models as well as the overall concept. We will then cover physical modeling techniques to allow the students to develop a reciprocal relationship between the analytical diagrams and the constructed model.
- Week 04 - Site Representation and Analysis
- This class will introduce methods of site representation and analysis. Students will learn tools for digital site modeling as well as different analytical approaches to diagramming and representing the site.
- Week 05 - Surface to Circulation
- Objective: to create stairs and ramps from existing planar geometry in Rhino. Using the foundational principles with which we designed our Double Negative, we will conceive of accessibility through a designed intervention on the Potrero Hill site. We will analyze our existing 3d planar geometry, and assess its potential to become occupiable via the carving out of circulation in relation to the massing of our building on site. We will work with existing surfaces and intersections between surfaces, adjusting their slopes according to the standards of accessibility.
- Week 06 - Building Plan, Section and Elevation
- This class will show examples of architectural orthographic drawings and introduce the method of creating orthographic drawings from a 3 dimensional model in Rhino. Students will have a chance to recap the technique they learned for producing their double negative drawings and learn further what elements should be add to depicted the space in architectural drawings.
- Week 07 - Axonometric Projections & Drawing Techniques
- This class will show examples of architectural axonometric drawings and introduce the method of creating an exploded axonometric projection from a 3 dimensional model in Rhino. Students will utilize many of the techniques they have learned in the previous sessions and also learn the basics of inserting sunlight into a scene using VRay, in order to achieve accurately rendered daylighting conditions.
- Week 08 - Perspective
- This class will introduce architecture perspective drawings as means of representing spatial quality and experience of the design. The class will cover the technique of setting perspective view and making perspective drawings for a Rhino model, and showing examples of precedent architectural perspective drawings.
- Week 09 - Representing Material
- This class will address material representation in digital models. Using examples of digital perspectival renderings, the merits and demerits of digital material representation will be explored. Students will learn how to use the material editor in V-Ray to adjust material color and reflectivity, assign materials, as well as create their own materials. Building upon prior introductions to V-Ray, the principles behind V-Ray’s physical camera will be further discussed.
- Week 10 - The Diagram
- This week we will have a lecture on diagramming and then cover a few workflows that can be used towards many different products. During individual sections we will review your pinned up drawings.
- Week 11 - Photoshop Post-Processing
- This week we will cover post-processing in Photoshop and go over a few workflows that can be used towards many different products. During individual sections we will review drawing standards for line drawings, specifically sections.
- Week 13 - Composite Rendering
- In this follow up to the week 11 workflow, our goal is to define and develop images that are inbetween drawing and rendering .